Mythical is the first book in a series- a trilogy. As such, it has some set ups for the sequels. Mysteries that won't be ansered right away.
As a reader, that might irritate you. The research I've read however, is that readers like series of novels. So Mythical's mysteries were purposely put in to pave the way and link the three books together.
In case you missed them all, or want to know more before deciding to read, here are all of Mythical's planned mysteries and unanswered questions:
1. Where did Ketzkahtel come from, and is his name a misspelling of Quetzacoatl?
2. How did Mark Kenslir get turned to stone? Why does water heal him? What exactly are his powers?
3. Where did the Stone Soldiers come from? How were they made?
4. It seems like an amazing coincidence that Josie and Jimmy happen across Kenslir in the desert.
5. Why didn't Ketzkahtel kill Josie when he had the chance?
6. What happened to Carlos, Kendall and Logan?
7. Why was Ketzkahtel in the Arizona desert to begin with?
All of these questions will be answered in the next installment, Mythical: Brothers in Stone. Which should be done and uploaded to Kindle, Nook and Smashwords in August 2012.